Viva La Frida

August 01, 2016


I am my own muse, I am the subject I know best. The subject I want to know better. — Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo is one of my favorite artists; not only her art but also her clothing style, hairdo's and fighters spirit. I read books about her, watched the movie Frida (starring Salma Hayek as Frida - a must watch!) multiple times and every summer I love to cook Mexican recipes for friends and family, which we gormandize Al Fresco. I especially love to make Frida's famous salad: Ensalada de Calabacín, which I wrote about on this blog and which Frida used to serve on festive dinner parties in her home in Mexico City; she named these dinner parties Día de Los Manteles Largos, which means Days of the Long Tablecloth. The salad recipe is featured in the book Frida's Fiestas: recipes and reminiscences of life with Frida Kahlo.



Nothing is worth more than laughter. It is strength to laugh and to abandon oneself, to be light. Tragedy is the most ridiculous thing.”
― Frida Kahlo

Hopefully one day, I will be able to visit Mexico-city and I'll be heading straight to Frida Kahlo's La Casa Azul (The Blue House), which is now turned into a museum dedicated to Frida's life and work. The Blue House has been maintained intact; it is still in the state it was when Frida passed away in 1954. Her studio with her pencils, her bedspread in the bedroom, the original furniture, and even her ashes are on display in an urn in a corner of the room. What a sight it all must be, and certainly worth a visit for a Frida-aficionado like me.

Well, for that visit somewhere in the (hopefully near) future, I found the perfect dress to wear: The Ti Amo Frida Kahlo dress by TopVintage.

The Frida dress is an amazingly beautiful 100% cotton swing style dress with a stunning print of Frida Kahlo; could I wish for anything else in my wardrobe? The vivacity of the print made me fall in love as soon as I saw it on the TopVintage website. It sure gets a lot of compliments when I wear it; not everyone who compliments the dress knows Frida Kahlo, so I love to tell them something about her and her artwork... and in this way keep Frida alive. Viva La Frida!


The shoes I'm wearing are lace up ballet flats; my biggest shoe addiction of this moment. They are very comfortable. I love to wear them underneath swing style dresses, but they look equally well when worn with trousers.



(The backdrop of my photos is a barbican ruin called The Spanish Gate. It dates from 1537 and it was through this gate that the Spanish garrison entered Zutphen in 1572 and conquered the city. What followed was a bloody massacre; many, many people died a horrible death, women were abused and raped. Zutphen was occupied for 19 years by the Spaniards, when in 1591 the siege of Zutphen began and the Spanish garrison surrendered.)

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

  1. Lovely post, and that dress is gorgeous! I too have watched the Frida film, it's great isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes, the dress is amazing as is the film Frida. I can watch it over and over and the soundtrack, the songs, it's all so raw! Salma does a great portrayal of Frida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My jaw hit the ground of this creative, fantastic dress. What a stellar garment - and ode to an incredible woman. It's super pretty and looks breathtaking on you, dear Lindsay.

    Many hugs & happy start of August wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Jessica, the dress is definitely one of my favorites in my wardrobe! Thank you for your kind compliments!

      <3

      Delete
  4. oh my goodness, THIS DRESS!!! not only do i love love the artist, but the blue backdrop is so perfect. you look stunning!

    Also i have moved to a new space!! You can now find me at WAKE ME UP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! The dress is one of my favorites, it's so beautiful <3

      Delete
  5. You look really lovely in this vintage print,such an adorable vintage outfit
    http://paperdollz.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images