Braids, Flowers, Guitars and Frida Kahlo

July 08, 2015


Frida Kahlo has been one of my idols for a long time now, and I'll be forever grateful that I have been introduced to this woman at a very young age. Apart from her artwork I just love the way she wore her hair: with colorful ribbons or scarf braided hair, adorned with lots of flowers. My hair is not quite long enough to wear it exactly the way she did, unfortunately, but I promised myself to let my hair grow longer again to achieve this result.


Even though I usually cling to patterns in life, there are certain things I can't stay with for long. My appearance is one of those things, yet don't get me wrong, vintage will always be the foundation of everything.

I recognize myself in Frida, -sans mono brow though- as we are both free spirits, artistic, autodidact, expressive and creative souls living a life that hasn't always been kind to us. Sadly I must speak in the past tense about Frida; she passed away in 1954 at the tender age of 47. 

Her tough, original and authentic character inspires me, and her words often wander through my thoughts when life challenges me again.


Her colorful and flamboyant appearance also inspires me a great deal for this summer. The Mexican fashions are right up my alley, and the Mexican way of braiding is in my opinion romantic and a great way to wear your hair during the warmer seasons to keep it out of your neck and face. 

I love to combine this hairstyle with colorful silk or satin blouses, robes, highwaist trousers and a sash belt.

If your hair is long enough, and want to wear it like Frida, I suggest you watch *this* simple tutorial. You'll be amazed by how easy it actually is.

And: If you're wondering what I'm doing with a guitar in my hands: my musically gifted boyfriend is learning me how to play it. Tough, because I have petite hands that don't quite go around the neck of the guitar and be able to touch all the strings. Anyway, I never really learned how to play an instrument, but I would love to express my emotions in different ways, other than writing, photographing or sketching and painting. Music seemed a new adventure to me I'm eager to dive into.

What are your favorite fashions for this summer?



You Might Also Like

4 Comments

  1. You look so stunning my sweet lady! Frida is one of my favourite artists since very young age. I was crazy about her when I was a teen, her strong character had an influence on me, for sure. I was lucky enough to see one exhibition with her works in Lisbon and I was so impressed with the way she painted. Her work is so much, but so much better alive. I love her portraits, her own paintings and also the gorgeous photographs of her (there is an exhibition with her photographs in Portugal till 12 July, in Cascais) . Her image is very iconic and will last forever!

    Hugs xx
    Beta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I experience a little jealousy here, I would LOVE to go to an exhibition of her works, as I'm sure they are, indeed as you say, much better when viewed in real life.

      I went to a Dalí and Mucha exhibition once when I was in Prague and I experienced the same feeling there: these kind of works just need to be marvelled at in real life.

      Thank you for your complimentary comment, it's always so good to hear from you. I hope that you and your son and husband are doing fine!

      Delete
  2. I literally gasped...what captivating, powerfully beautiful images. You have honoured her spirit so marvelously here.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, it's a huge compliment to me, especially coming from you! Thank you!

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images